Dr. G Venkatasubramanian
Dr. G Venkatasubramanian, MBBS, MD, PhD
Awards, Honors and Fellowship
- 2007 Bhagwat Award for the year 2007 for best original research paper presented in the Annual National Conference of the Indian Psychiatric Society 2007 [ANCIPS 2007] held in Chennai, India.
- 2007 Member in Editorial Board [Trainee Section] of the International Journal Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica
- 2006 Tilak Venkoba Rao Oration Award by the Indian Psychiatric Society.
- 2006 Scopus Young Scientist Award for Medicine for the Year 2006. This was awarded by the Elsevier International Publications in recognition of the impact of the research works published by the awardee in peer-reviewed international journals.
- 2005 ICMR Tilak Venkoba Rao Award by the Indian Council of Medical Research [award announced in 2007]
- 2004 Young Scientist Award at the 12th Biennial International Winter Workshop on Schizophrenia in Davos, Switzerland.
- 2003 Clinical Research Fellowship on fMRI in Schizophrenia (Medical Research Council – United Kingdom; November 2003 – November 2004).
- 2003 Bombay Psychiatric Society Silver Jubilee Award For the best original research paper presentation at the Annual National Conference of Indian Psychiatric Society – 2003, Hyderabad, India.
- 2002 Best Original Research Paper Award for the Year 2002 by the German Journal of Psychiatry
- 2002 Dr. SS Jayaram Award for the best original research paper presentation at the Annual Conference of Indian Psychiatric Society – South Zone (November 2002), Mysore, India.
- 2001 National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences Silver Jubilee Award for the best outgoing student of M.D. in Psychiatry.
- 2000 Best Postgraduate Research Paper Award for the best original research paper presentation in the Annual Conference of Indian Psychiatric Society – Karnataka chapter in Mysore (August 2000), India.
- 2000 Dr. D.S. Raju award for the best original research paper presentation at the Annual Conference of the Indian Psychiatric Society in Madurai (October 2000), India.
- 1996 Dr. K.C. Paul’s Prize in Clinical Medicine
- 1996 Dr. K.C. Paul’s Prize in Clinical Surgery
- 1995 The Madras University Students’ Club Endowment Prize in Forensic Medicine
- 1995 Dr. S.S. Jain Memorial Gold Medal in Otorhinolaryngology
- 1994 The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University Professor Dr. Lalitha Kameswaran Prize for Pharmacology
- 1994 Kannusamy Memorial Prize in Pharmacology
- 1993 Maharaja of Cochin Prize in Physiology
- 1993 Sankunni Marar Memorial Gold Medal in Physiology
Areas of Research Interest
- Schizophrenia, Structural and Functional MRI in Psychiatric Diorders, Psychopharmacology and Psychiatry – Medicine Interface; Neurodevelopment & Psychiatric Disorders; Neuroimaging in Psychiatry; Endophenotypes; Psychopharmacology; High Risk Studies in Schizophrenia; Evolutionary Psychiatry
- Venkatasubramanian G, Chittiprol S, Neelakantachar N, Naveen MN, Thirthahalli J, Gangadhar BN, Shetty KT. Insulin & Insulin-like Growth Factor-1 abnormalities in antipsychotic-naïve schizophrenia. American Journal of Psychiatry 2007 (accepted for publication).
- Venkatasubramanian G. Schizophrenia is a disorder of aberrant neurodevelopment: A Synthesis of Evidence from Clinical & Structural, Functional and Neurochemical Brain Imaging Studies. Indian Journal of Psychiatry 2007 (accepted for publication).
- Venkatasubramanian G. Neuroanatomical Correlates of Psychopathology in Antipsychotic-naïve schizophrenia. Indian Journal of Psychiatry 2007 (accepted for publication).
- Rao N, Venkatasubramanian G, Gangadhar BN. Treatment of cognitive deficits in schizophrenia with atomoxetine. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 2007 (accepted for publication).
- Venkatesh BK, Thirthalli J, Naveen MN, Kishorekumar KV, Arunachala U, Venkatasubramanian G, Subbakrishna DK, Gangadhar BN. Sex difference in age of onset of schizophrenia: findings from a community-based study in India. World Psychiatry 2007 (accepted for publication).
- Venkatasubramanian G, Anthony G, Reddy US, Reddy VV, Jayakumar PN, Benegal V. Corpus callosum abnormalities associated with greater externalizing behaviors in subjects at high risk for alcohol dependence. Psychiatric Research: Neuroimaging 2007 (in press).
- Benegal V, Anthony G, Venkatasubramanian G, Jayakumar PN. Behavioral Correlates of Gray Matter Volume Abnormalities in Subjects at High Risk for Alcohol Dependence. Addiction Biology 2007;12(1):122-32.
- Behere RV, Venkatasubramanian G, Naveen MN, Gangadhar BN. Aripiprazole induced hyponatremia: a case report. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 2007;68(4): 640-1.
- Hunter MD, Venkatasubramanian Ganesan, Wilkinson ID, Spence SA. Impact of Modafinil on Prefrontal Executive Function in Schizophrenia. American Journal of Psychiatry 2006;163(12):2184-2186.
- Jayakumar PN, Venkatasubramanian G, Keshavan MS, Srinivas JS, Gangadhar BN. MRI Volumetric and 31P MRS Metabolic Correlates of Caudate Nucleus in Antipsychotic-naïve schizophrenia. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 2006; Nov;114(5):346-51.
- Varambally S, Venkatasubramanian G, Jagadisha T, Gangadhar BN. Cerebellar & other neurological soft signs in antipsychotic-naïve schizophrenia. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 2006; 114(5):352-6.
- Gangadhar BN, Jayakumar PN, Venkatasubramanian G, Janakiramaiah N, Keshavan MS. Developmental Reflexes and 31P Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy of Basal Ganglia in Antipsychotic-Naive Schizophrenia. Progress in Neuropsychopharmacology & Biological Psychiatry 2006; 30(5):910-913.
- Venkatasubramanian Ganesan, Hunter MD, Spence SA. Schneiderian first rank symptoms are associated with right parietal hyperactivation: A replication utilising fMRI. American Journal of Psychiatry 2005;162(8):1545.
- Venkatasubramanian G, Green RDJ, Hunter MD, Wilkinson ID, Spence S. Expanding the response space in chronic schizophrenia: the role of left prefrontal cortex. NeuroImage 2005;15;25(3):952-7
- Spence SA, Hunter MD, Farrow TFD, Green RDJ, Leung D, Hughes CJ, Venkatasubramanian G. A cognitive neurobiological account of deception: evidence from functional imaging. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London: Biological Sciences 2004; 359:1755-1762.
- Venkatasubramanian G, Hunter MD, Farrow TFD, Green RDJ, Leung D, Hughes CJ, Spence SA. The functional anatomy of vocal lying. Biological Psychiatry 2004; 55:8. (abstract)
- Venkatasubramanian G, PN Jayakumar, BN Gangadhar, MS Keshavan. Longitudinal Study of MRI Gray Matter Volume in Never-treated Schizophrenia: Evidence for cognitive dysmetria. Schizophrenia Research 2004; 67:25. (abstract)
- Khanna S, Venkatasubramanian G. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. In: Postgraduate Psychiatry by Ten Teachers Eds: Vyas JN, Nathwat SS. Aditya Medical Publishers, New Delhi, 2003, 51 – 74.
- Venkatasubramanian G, Jayakumar PN, Gangadhar BN, Janakiramaiah N, Keshavan MS. Striato-cerebellar abnormalities in never-treated Schizophrenia. German J Psychiatry 2003 6(1); 1-7.
- Venkatasubramanian G, Latha V, Gangadhar BN, Janakiramaiah N, Subbakrishna DK, Jayakumar PN, Keshavan MS Neurological Soft Signs in Never-treated Schizophrenia. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 2003 108(2):144-146.
- Venkatasubramanian G, Jayakumar PN, Gangadhar BN, Janakiramaiah N, Subbakrishna DK, Keshavan MS. Measuring the corpus callosum in schizophrenia: A technique with neuroanatomical and cytoarchitectural basis. Neurology India 2003;51(2):189-192.
- Venkatasubramanian G, Jayakumar PN, Gangadhar BN, Janakiramaiah N, Keshavan MS. Reduced Caudate Volume in Never-treated Schizophrenia: Evidence for neurodevelopmental etiopathogenesis. Indian Journal of Psychiatry 2003;45:2.
- Venkatasubramanian G, Jayakumar PN, Gangadhar BN, Janakiramaiah N, Keshavan MS Cortico-cerebellar alterations in never-treated young age at onset schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research 2003;60(1):211s. (abstract)
- Chandra PS, Venkatasubramanian G, Thomas T. Infanticidal ideas and infanticidal behavior in Indian women with severe postpartum psychiatric disorders. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 2002;190(7):457-461.
- Venkatasubramanian G, Jayakumar PN, Gangadhar BN, Janakiramaiah N, Subbakrishna DK, Keshavan MS. Never-treated, younger onset schizophrenia patients have smaller corpus callosum. Biological Psychiatry 2002; 51:28S. (abstract)
- Venkatasubramanian G, Gangadhar BN, Janakiramaiah N, Subbakrishna DK, Jayakumar PN, Keshavan MS. Increased Neurological Soft Signs in Never-treated, Younger age at onset schizophrenia. Biological Psychiatry 2002; 51:175S. (abstract)
- Venkatasubramanian G, Kumar TCR, Khanna S. Obsessive-compulsive disorder and psychosis. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry 2001; 46(8):750-4.
- Venkatasubramanian G. A MRI morphometric study of Corpus Callosum and Cerebellar Vermis in Schizophrenia titled “A study on the effects of age at onset and sex on phenomenology, neurological soft signs, minor physical anomalies and structural brain abnormalities in patients with first episode schizophrenia” submitted for thesis during the period of the M.D., training in psychiatry, NIMHANS, 2001.
- Venkatasubramanian G. Neurobiology of Alcohol Dependence. De-Addiction Quarterly 2001; 6(2):1- 4.
- Venkatasubramanian G, Yogananda BH, Gangadhar. Risperidone-Induced Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome: A case report. Indian Journal of Psychiatry 2000; 42(1):101-103.